Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cockpit started....

Chad McNeely of Knot Racing (www.i550knotracing.blogspot.com) drove up from SoCal for the boat show and was kind enough to swing out to Sacrameno for a viewing. It is awesome to get to meet a fellow kool-aid drinker in person! His boat, and skills are impressive! It's scary how much time I could spend just talking about the what-ifs of the build process.....which brings me to my recent progress:

I am starting to loathe statements like, "Due to it's simplicity of construction......" and instructions like, "next, install the cockpit..."



Oh sure, no problem, I'll just whip that right up!!


(I say that tongue in cheek...sort of.......)


Where do you need longitudinal stringers? Where should one place extra cleats to support edges/corners? Given limited access to the rear of the boat, how do you get in and glass down the last panel to be installed?? Inquiring minds want to know......and inquiring minds mean idle hands, which means little physical progress, which means I'll be sailing next summer if I'm lucky!!!




Here is a picture of what I have begun:
I am using foam that I'll sand down to this radius:





I think if I put the side decks on, the radius foam and the side panels, I can tape the underneath of all that by reaching in from the center.



Then I will slide the aft half of the cockpit sole in and be able to reach the forward part of that. The aft will rest on cleats and be epoxied to those and taped from above. That only leaves the forward cockit sole, which I do have access to from inside the boat.

No doubt it will all come out as well as the rest has.......just keep cuttin and prayin!!

1 comment:

  1. Keep on figuring Ben. A solution will come to you. I recommend that you laminate cleats to your frames with micro fibers (fills gaps nicely and is really strong) and very little silica (thickens but weakens bonds). Then laminate down your cockpit sole. I did the sides and decks first and the sole last. Some have put the whole lot together (side deck + cockpit side + cockpit sole) taped the seams, pulled from the boat and taped the under side and then installed it as one unit to cleats as described above.

    I would think you would want to glass the under side of the foam you are using so that adds to the challenge but will make for a nice comfortable seat.

    Cheers, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete