Sunday, February 21, 2010

Keel sleeve and compression post

I am back on track. The keel sleeve is some heavy Kevlar/Carbon twill, maybe 12 oz.?, two layers w/ a layer of 6 oz. fiberglass in between. It came out very nice. I have also been working on the compression post and am ready for the great "REVEAL":



One note/observation/lesson: the mylar I found so hard to source in larger quantities (ended up buying some left over from the only engineering firm in town www.mneilsengineering.com who bought a roll over a year ago! Thanks Amber) was not the best material for creating a nice gloss finish. I laid hardwood floors in our house a year or two back and hung onto the extra vapor barrier plastic from that project. It is thick, fairly soft, really smooth and great to work with for this stuff. I used 1 layer between the foil and the sleeve to create (what I hope will be) just the right amount of space betweeen the two. I also used it over the top of the Carbon to create a nice finish. As you can see, it creates a super high gloss finsih. But it was also easier to work with than the mylar. AND it is CHEAP!! WIN/WIN/WIN!!!

A big thanks to Gordon for the Carbon/Kevlar.....this is a really cool addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment