Sunday, December 6, 2009

this weekend in boat construction 101.....




Mostly got the transom tuned up, attached, and cut the sheer clamp.

Still dragging my feet as I need epoxy to start to tab the bottom to the sides, but really dragging my feet as I am not confident about the bow. Basically the advice has been start placing frames, and they will get the bow going in the right direction.

This is a great example of my personal on going "cavalier vs conscientious" debate. A smart and experienced builder knows what errors can be filled w/ epoxy and sanded over (cavalier), and which will affect the outcome of the lines of the boat (conscientious).

One can spend months scratching their head, worrying about the fact that the bow veers an inch plus to the right, when it really hardly matters and will correct itself over as the build progresses. One can also ignore such things and push on, figuring they will work out, only to find out that they have spent a great deal of time, money, and effort building a shoddy product.

For the moment I will err on the "prudence is the greater part of valor....." side of the equation.


EPOXY IS ETERNAL.......

No comments:

Post a Comment