Thursday, December 31, 2009

Better than sistering.....brothering?



So there has been an issue w/ some other builds (and now mine) that the sides of the boat only meet the bulkeads (cross members) if you pull them in tight. The problem is, if you pull them in tight, you create hollow spots in the outside of the boat where the sides are pulled in. The solution seems to be, pull the sides in as far as possible without creating a hollow, and then sister in a piece of wood to the bulkhead to make it reach.


In a moment of genius, I bettered this idea. First, I layed glass tabbing on either side of the bulkhead:




The I filled the gap w/ thickened epoxy to create a perfect "sister"....or a brother.....(I'm making alot of this up as I go, so I think I can name it too.) The redish color in the fiberglass is the thickened epoxy. Masking tape is not great for closing off the bottom of the channels, but sufficient.


We'll see if it holds up in a few months. I will back these up with a full fillet and full length tabs as well. So probably minimal weight savings if any.

No comments:

Post a Comment