Thursday, July 15, 2010

Going GREEN.....

1st coat of paint is on......"good from far but far from good" in my estimation. (A couple of sags, some dust and BUGS!!! More on that further down.)




West Marine is out of blue.......so I chose green. Wasn't planning on calling the boat "boogers" but it seems to fit now....maybe I'll call it "Carbon Offset".
I have been taunted for going w/ the single part epoxy (instead of 2 part) but dang it...this stuff is cheaper, easier to use, and I WILL get the next coat down better. Maybe spray on coat # 2.




Of course the flies that I have never seen in the shop before decided to congregate enmasse...$70 fly paper:



The ones that landed and died weren't so bad. It was the little troopers that landed and WALKED ACROSS THE BOAT that REALLY pissed me off.....
I'll let it set up tonight and sand tomorrow eve. Then my plan is to spray Saturday morning BEFORE the little bastards (the flies that is) are out and about.
Then I build some trailer bunks and we are in business!!
Also starting to gather lead. I found 2 tire shops that are game. Keel coming soon!


3 comments:

  1. Looks great from here Ben!!
    just try to remember that you are making a sailboat not a work of art if the end result isn't perfect, Murphy's Law says it will get scratched one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work Ben ! İ like that color. İt reminds me of the Brazilian flag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great.

    There are far fewer bugs out early in the day and the wind is usually calmer too. If possible, keep the doors closed while you paint and afterward to minimize the dust bunnies.

    I scratched my boat before I even got it in the water so keep it all in perspective.

    cheers, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete