Monday, July 12, 2010

Gray boats

Just did the second coat of primer.....and I will say it looks freakin' AWESOME!





I was either going to love or hate the outcome...and I love it.



There are a few pinholes that I will hit w/ a last coat, but they are TINY and few.



Here's my battleship gray i550:






Below is a slightly different gray boat. This picture was taken after we sailed JUST under the bow in my buddy Greg's 37' Tayana in San Diego.











We had just sailed up the starboard (far) side of the carrier and turned to sail across it's bow when the wind shut off. Thank God that the Tayana is a heavy boat, because it fortunately coasted just long enough to get us around. I have looked up a mast before and it always seems like it is about to scrape the underside of the bridge (or whatever) you are going under. Well, do you see the people out on the catwalks at the bow? They were all saying, "OH MY, they are really close...oh gosh,


look how close he is...is he going to make it?" Even from THEIR perspective we were nearly swappin paint.....cool in NASCAR.....not so cool w/ US Govt property of the military kind.

GOOD TIMES!

2 comments:

  1. Sort of reminds me of a story from when we were cruising. You know it's a sea story, because it starts with "This is no S**t..."

    "This is no s**t... when I was in San Diego cruising, we saw this bedraggled boat pull into the police dock. The mast was bent, big scrapes down the sides, etc - really ugly. My Dad is up at the pay phones (this was in '84, before cell phones!), and hears the guy talking. His conversation went:

    "Yes, we hit an aircraft carrier"
    pause
    "No, I don't think that there was any damage to the other vessel."

    I always thought that was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way, the boat's looking great!

    ReplyDelete