Saturday, August 7, 2010

spreaders etc.....

Laid up my spreaders a few nights ago. Pulled them out, cleaned them up and laid glass on them tonight. The first picture is of the long and short spreaders before and after routing the edges. (They are narrower at the outboard end but the picture distorts that.)





I then laid 2 layers of 6 oz glass over them. I consolidated w/ stretch wrap. This would have been an ideal application for the vacuum bag, but I didn't have peel ply etc, so saran wrap was used.




I also began to lay out the rudder. I won't use a rudder box, not sure the extra effort is worth it. I am just going to attach the rudder handle and the pintels directly to the rudder. I lose the ability to raise the rudder, but the keel is so much deeper I can't see where this is an advantage. And it would take a great deal of extra time to build.
I hope to get one coat of paint on the deck this weekend and get into setting up the mast. I have a plan for the rigging. Regular old 1x19 SS w/ turnbuckles is the plan.....nothing fancy and not as lite as possible, but quick and cheap.......I am ready to go sailing!
Also purchased some second hand Melges 20 sails that should arrive shortly. I will need to "modify" them slightly, but they are high quality and barely used and CHEAP!!!! so they fit the bill perfectly. I hope anyway. We'll see soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment